Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Recipe: Chicken Burgers


If you know me, you know that the kitchen is not the room where I feel the most comfortable...unless someone else is doing the cooking.  I try to cook from recipes, but now and then I have things I want to use up, and make it up as I go along.  Here's the recipe I created tonight for chicken burgers. Comments welcome of course.

Ingredients

1 1/2 lbs lean ground chicken
1 onion
4 cloves garlic
1 egg
2/3 cup Panko bread crumbs
misc seasonings (e.g., seasoned salt, parsley, poultry seasoning, pepper, garlic powder)

Directions
  1. Preheat BBQ/indoor grill to medium-high heat.
  2. Place chicken in a big bowl.
  3. Finely chop the onion.  Add to bowl.
  4. Finely mince the garlic/use a fine grater. Add to bowl.
  5. Add the egg and Panko bread crumbs to the bowl.
  6. Sorry for the blue tint, I used my phone!
  7. Using your hands, mix all ingredients together until just combined.  (I know, this is gross, but way easier than using utensils).
  8. Shape into 6 patties about 1/2 to 2/3 inches thick.  If they are too thick, they will turn into baseballs.
  9. Season patties with misc spices.
  10. Place on grill for 6 minutes on one side.  Flip and cook to internal temperature of 165 F.
  11. Place on bun and dress.
I put loads of Frank's Red Hot and a bit of mayo and it was delicious.  Steamed cauliflower on the side made for a quick, easy and healthy meal.

These burgers are very versatile.  You could substitute the chicken for turkey, use green onion and ginger for an Asian flair, top it with cheese...anything.  

Enjoy! 

2 comments:

  1. mmm, I lurve chicken burgers! These look really good, toots. Hey, you want the best burger tip that I've heard (and now use all the time)? When you make the patties do them a bit larger and flatter than normal and do a concave dent in the center with your palm. That way when the meat seizes and pulls in they end up being a pretty even thickness and don't shrink too small for the buns. Or...just let the patties shrink and pull off all the exterior bread, which is my favorite option # 2 haha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tina, great ideas! I have lots more ground chicken (was on sale this week at Loblaws for $0.99lb) so I will definitely be trying that :)

    ReplyDelete